Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Idioms

My youngest daughter (age 8) has a delightful mind which looks at the world just a bit differently. She comes up with some interesting thoughts. (She was the one who wondered, in the story of the Feeding of the Five Thousand what the people drank, and came up with the solution they must have gotten water out of the “fish guts.”)

One of my favorite stories to tell happened about two years ago as I walked by her room. I spotted her standing--arms overflowing with about every stuffed animal she owned. On one hand the fingers were drumming; her face had a look of intense concentration. (The tongue peeking out of the corner of her mouth.)

Me: Honey—what’s wrong?
Daughter: Mom told me to pick up all of my stuffed animals, but didn’t tell me what to do next!


Or another tale. My family often plays “I Spy” in restaurants while waiting for our food.

Daughter: I spy with my little eye…a goat.
Family: [after searching frantically for five minutes] O.K. We give up. Where is it?
Daughter: [triumphant] Right over there.
Me: [again after searching] I’m sorry, honey, I still don’t see it.
Daughter: [even more proud at her “win”] THAT’s because it is in the shape of a frog!

At the end of this school year we were treated with a fat notebook full of stories written or dictated by my daughter. One of the projects involved the teacher starting an Idiom, and then having the child finish the rest. Here is the world of phrases through the eyes of an 8-year-old:

“Strike while the…Rake is raking up leaves.”
“What’s good for the goose, is good for the…water we need to drink.”
“You can’t teach an old dog new…tricks like ‘go get it.’”
“A penny saved is…a penny spent.”
“Children should be seen and not…hurt other children.”
“It is better to be safe than…sorry about lying.”
“While the cat’s away…you can buy a scratching post.”
“Where there’s a will there’s a…way to make it right.”
“Necessity is…needing water and food.”
“People who live in glass houses…will get hurt.”

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dagoods......funny stuff for sure. One time my daughter and I were discussing the idea of God and Heaven as I was driving her home from school.

    Daughter. Dad do you think that theres a Heaven.

    Dad. well you know honey, I kind of think Heaven could be right here, in fact I think we are in Heaven right now.

    Daughter. No Daddy we're in Traffic.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are fun. My favourite is that last one about glass houses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, those were priceless Dagoods.

    Whew, a good way to start the day, she's a chip off the old tree.

    ReplyDelete